WEST NYACK, NY — Three upcoming events are designed to connect job-seekers in the Hudson Valley with local employers (or the training resources they need) — an essential factor in economic development for Rockland County, according to one of the organizers.
The free “Back to School Back in Business” events are a partnership between three Pyramid Management Group shopping malls — the Palisades Center, Poughkeepsie Galleria, and Galleria at Crystal Run — and seven local Career Centers and Workforce Development boards.
Job fairs are useful ways to connect would-be workers with eager employers, said Richard Gore, Coordinator of Business and Employer Services at the Rockland Works Career Center, specially given the very low unemployment rate in the region. SEE: Strong US Job Market Even Stronger In The Hudson Valley
“There’s a huge problem on the business side of getting people employed. No people equals lost revenue,” Gore told Patch.
Geared towards adults seeking employment opportunities and students exploring potential career paths, these career fairs are designed to be easily accessible to lots of people, and entertaining, too. In the mix:
- Career Exploration: Job seekers can interact with representatives from various industries, allowing them to gain valuable insights into potential career paths.
- Job Opportunities: Local employers and organizations will be present, allowing attendees to discover exciting job openings and internships.
- Education and Workforce Resources: Learn about educational programs, training opportunities, and workforce development initiatives in the Hudson Valley.
- Family-Friendly Activities: The event caters to all age groups, with engaging activities and entertainment suitable for families and kids.
- Networking: Connect with professionals and industry experts who can offer valuable guidance and advice.
- Prizes and Giveaways: Participate in raffles and contests to win fantastic prizes.
The government sponsors — Dutchess Works/DCWIB, Orange County Career Center, Rockland Works/Workforce Development Board of Rockland County, Sullivan County Career Center, Ulster Works/Ulster County Career Center, Westchester-Putnam Career Center, and City of Yonkers Career Center — want to strengthen the Hudson Valley’s workforce.
The unemployment statistics can be misleading, Gore said. There are still lots of people out there looking for work. The Rockland Works Career Center hosted a job fair at the Finkelstein Memorial Library in July and 200 people showed up, he said.
“You still have people looking for work. There are businesses needing to hire. There are a lot of barriers,” he said. For example, some job-seekers could use English language lessons; older ones could benefit from courses in digital technologies.
The career center helps with it all. “It’s one of those resources that are vital to the community,” Gore said. “We act as a facilitator. We’re making a dent in economic development for the county.”
- Noon-4 p.m. Aug. 12 at the Palisades Center, 1000 Palisades Center Drive, West Nyack
- Noon-4 p.m. Aug. 19 at the Poughkeepsie Galleria, 2001 South Road, Poughkeepsie
- Noon-4 p.m. Sept. 9 at the Galleria at Crystal Run, 1 Galleria Drive, Middletown
“Palisades Center is delighted to host this family-friendly career festival,” said Darrin Houseman, General Manager of Palisades Center. “We believe in supporting our community’s growth by fostering connections between employers and job seekers. It’s going to be a day filled with excitement and possibilities.”